Spa covers of thick rigid foam gradually get waterlogged and cave in, like mine did. So when I saw an ad for an innovative design at SpaCap.com, I got interested. The Spa Cap is essentially a large air bladder enclosed in a couple of layers of heavy-duty marine vinyl, so it sounds like a promising product.
It is not. Its insulation qualities are close to nil, and worse, the company's got the worst customer service this side of Attila the Hun.
I bought a Spa Cap, and after watching the company's online instructional video, I installed the cover appropriately. From that day, our electric bill skyrocketed. During the previous year, when we used a foam cover, our electric bill averaged $100 per month. With the SpaCap in place, our first month bill was $177, the second was $362, and the third, $571!
Of course, I turned off the tub and phoned SpaCap. I left several messages and then e-mails, and never got a response. I finally reached a woman in SpaCap's office, having possibly caught her off guard. She listened to me and asked me to send them a photo of the installation. I did that the same day, waited a week, and then began calling and e-mailing once again. Finally I reached the same woman. She told me the company's president had concluded I hadn't tacked the cover down with enough fasteners, and he'd already shipped me more fasteners. I'm glad I didn't wait by my mailbox.
I returned the cover to SpaCap, enclosing a request for a refund under the warranty, which covers workmanship and materials for three years. Since it didn't insulate worth a fig, it wasn't a genuine spa cover, so was completely defective. As you might guess, I heard nothing further from them.
If you go to SpaCap's website, a subpage, "R-Factor Testing Results," offers data on the product's insulation capability. The study, done by Dr. H.F.Poppendiek of Geoscience Ltd. of San Diego, CA, seems to suggest that the SpaCap provides about ten times more insulation capability than a rigid foam cover. But if you read it carefully, it's actually incomprehensible.
So I wrote to Dr. Poppendiek, asking what the story was. He replied that something was radically wrong with the information on SpaCap's website. It was not in conformance, he said, with the technical data Geoscience Ltd. supplied. Dr. Poppendiek wrote, "I'm not sure whether someone at SpaCap doesn't understand the data or whether my findings are being misrepresented."
Why did that not surprise me?
The Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/spas-and-hot-tubs-supplies-and-parts/spacapcom-in-lynden-wa-13025291#ratingdetails) gives SpaCap.com the grade of F, their lowest rating. The BBB says there were 41 complaints filed against the company, which failed to resolve or even respond to a significant number of the complaints.
If you Google "spa cap," you'll find websites such as www.doityourself.com, which feature numerous other extremely negative reviews such as mine.
In sum, SpaCap's product is lousy and may actually be fraudulent, and their customer skills are even worse.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Beauty Centers and Spas
You May Also Like
- "Gave it a couple years, and tried again. My other daughter has never had an issue. But my youngest has long straight hair. The only short part is her bangs...which..."
- "I went into smartstyle to get my hair colored and highlighted. I asked for a heavy blond highlight with hint of a reddish color. My hair has been done 4..."
- "Kayla Robinson did this to my hair less than 24 hours ago, I wanted it fixed or a refund I received nothing but she did her best. She should not..."
- "Att or google has done nothing to to keep david dumetz who runs a media site from hacking my internet through java and google development sites.his company destroyed thousands..."
- "Ordered customize dress with measurement 36 inches for chest and hip, 30 inches waist and 50 inches hollow to floor. Jacket received with 30 inches chest. Dress received with 32..."
- "So I decided to give amiclubwear a shot since I was looking around for Presidents Day Sale & happened to see 45% off promotion. Well I shopped and shopped. Well-..."
- "My van was repossessed over 468.00 on 10/26/16 while i was on the phone with Westlake trying to make a payment. The repo driver hooked the vehicle so the agent..."
- "1990 Chickasha Dr. Pfafftown, NC 27040 October 27, 2016 Patient Relations Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157 To Whom It May Concern: Let me first say that I have almost..."
- "I actually had an ok experience. You HAVE to read the fine.print. You HAVE to read the ordering instructions... ALL of them. You HAVE to order WAY ahead of time..atleast a month before..."