SpaCap - DON'T BUY A SPA CAP HOT TUB COVER

Spa covers of thick rigid foam gradually get waterlogged and cave in, like mine did. So when I saw an ad for an innovative design at SpaCap.com, I got interested. The Spa Cap is essentially a large air bladder enclosed in a couple of layers of heavy-duty marine vinyl, so it sounds like a promising product.

It is not. Its insulation qualities are close to nil, and worse, the company's got the worst customer service this side of Attila the Hun.

I bought a Spa Cap, and after watching the company's online instructional video, I installed the cover appropriately. From that day, our electric bill skyrocketed. During the previous year, when we used a foam cover, our electric bill averaged $100 per month. With the SpaCap in place, our first month bill was $177, the second was $362, and the third, $571!

Of course, I turned off the tub and phoned SpaCap. I left several messages and then e-mails, and never got a response. I finally reached a woman in SpaCap's office, having possibly caught her off guard. She listened to me and asked me to send them a photo of the installation. I did that the same day, waited a week, and then began calling and e-mailing once again. Finally I reached the same woman. She told me the company's president had concluded I hadn't tacked the cover down with enough fasteners, and he'd already shipped me more fasteners. I'm glad I didn't wait by my mailbox.

I returned the cover to SpaCap, enclosing a request for a refund under the warranty, which covers workmanship and materials for three years. Since it didn't insulate worth a fig, it wasn't a genuine spa cover, so was completely defective. As you might guess, I heard nothing further from them.

If you go to SpaCap's website, a subpage, "R-Factor Testing Results," offers data on the product's insulation capability. The study, done by Dr. H.F.Poppendiek of Geoscience Ltd. of San Diego, CA, seems to suggest that the SpaCap provides about ten times more insulation capability than a rigid foam cover. But if you read it carefully, it's actually incomprehensible.

So I wrote to Dr. Poppendiek, asking what the story was. He replied that something was radically wrong with the information on SpaCap's website. It was not in conformance, he said, with the technical data Geoscience Ltd. supplied. Dr. Poppendiek wrote, "I'm not sure whether someone at SpaCap doesn't understand the data or whether my findings are being misrepresented."

Why did that not surprise me?

The Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/spas-and-hot-tubs-supplies-and-parts/spacapcom-in-lynden-wa-13025291#ratingdetails) gives SpaCap.com the grade of F, their lowest rating. The BBB says there were 41 complaints filed against the company, which failed to resolve or even respond to a significant number of the complaints.

If you Google "spa cap," you'll find websites such as www.doityourself.com, which feature numerous other extremely negative reviews such as mine.

In sum, SpaCap's product is lousy and may actually be fraudulent, and their customer skills are even worse.

review #209700
9 5 Helpful?
Had the same issue5 Comments7
Had an experience with SpaCap?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 22 #998150 Waterville, Maine

I spent almost $800 for a SpaCap and I also had terrible results and no refund. Living in Maine winters, the inside of my hot tub became all iced up because the cover did not fit correctly. I was in tears with multiple phone calls and never a response. Oh, I did send many photos with NO response. I am angry and out a whole lot of money!! Wow, I wish I had known about the BBB result with the SpaCap company before I burnt my money. I had to have another one installed in January, the dead of winter. It was a nightmare for me. I despise that company. How terrible to do that to people who really NEED their money to survive. Thank you to who posted this. I really appreciate knowing I am not the only one who got stolen alive. The cover sits in my garage and will have to be thrown out, Darn....

George

Apr 17 #972972

Do not buy this! My Spa Cap is a piece of ***. I always had to adjust the air inside the cap, when in the sun it is too tight and at night is sags and puddles with water if it rains. In the winter, ice would form all around the side where the warm moist air from the tub would escape, (great insulation, right?)
After 4 years, the interior side has turned brittle and now spa water leaks into the cap, after only a few days there is five gallons of water inside making removal a real PITA! I called the factory and was told that it must have been the chemicals, chlorine shock, I was using that ruined the bladder, (read...It's all my fault!) They would give me $50 off the $545 price of a new cover. Not again! going back to the foam cover.

Jack

Jul 05, 2014 #836261 Ithaca, New York

Wish I had seen this before I got sucked in to buying one. Exact same issue! The cover is nothing but a piece of ***, period! No customer service at all and now this wonderful cover is so full of "water" I can hardly lift it. Leaks air so I'm filling it daily, but for long. I will be ordering a real cover this weekend and take this junk to the dump. I would like to throw it on their front entrance with a big sign on it. (Can't print what the sign would say!)

lisa

Jun 29, 2014 #833674

We had a Spa Cap cover for the last six years and I was extrememly happy with it until this year. Both the top and bottom chambers seem to have aleak as it continuously deflates, but i cannot seem to get ahold of Spa Cap about replacing it. Was nice while it lasted though!

you're a nitwit

Sep 10, 2011 #342260

spa caps are to protect the spa cover, NOT insulate the temperature of the water.

Good guy

Dec 27, 2012 #586576

I would complain about the cover, but after 6 weeks, I still have not received my spa cap. They may be crooks.

nitwit!

Jan 25, 2013 #598803 Abilene, Texas

actually... you're a nitwit. the article is about the specific product spacap.com that DOES in fact replace the traditional cover. There is a similarly named product that just covers the traditional foam/vinyl cover and is useful but also has durability issues (in my experience)

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about SpaCap.
Filing a new complaint about
×