SpaCap - DON'T BUY A SPA CAP HOT TUB COVER
Spa covers of thick rigid foam gradually get waterlogged and cave in, like mine did. So when I saw an ad for an innovative design at SpaCap.com, I got interested. The Spa Cap is essentially a large air bladder enclosed in a couple of layers of heavy-duty marine vinyl, so it sounds like a promising product.
It is not. Its insulation qualities are close to nil, and worse, the company's got the worst customer service this side of Attila the Hun.
I bought a Spa Cap, and after watching the company's online instructional video, I installed the cover appropriately. From that day, our electric bill skyrocketed. During the previous year, when we used a foam cover, our electric bill averaged $100 per month. With the SpaCap in place, our first month bill was $177, the second was $362, and the third, $571!
Of course, I turned off the tub and phoned SpaCap. I left several messages and then e-mails, and never got a response. I finally reached a woman in SpaCap's office, having possibly caught her off guard. She listened to me and asked me to send them a photo of the installation. I did that the same day, waited a week, and then began calling and e-mailing once again. Finally I reached the same woman. She told me the company's president had concluded I hadn't tacked the cover down with enough fasteners, and he'd already shipped me more fasteners. I'm glad I didn't wait by my mailbox.
I returned the cover to SpaCap, enclosing a request for a refund under the warranty, which covers workmanship and materials for three years. Since it didn't insulate worth a fig, it wasn't a genuine spa cover, so was completely defective. As you might guess, I heard nothing further from them.
If you go to SpaCap's website, a subpage, "R-Factor Testing Results," offers data on the product's insulation capability. The study, done by Dr. H.F.Poppendiek of Geoscience Ltd. of San Diego, CA, seems to suggest that the SpaCap provides about ten times more insulation capability than a rigid foam cover. But if you read it carefully, it's actually incomprehensible.
So I wrote to Dr. Poppendiek, asking what the story was. He replied that something was radically wrong with the information on SpaCap's website. It was not in conformance, he said, with the technical data Geoscience Ltd. supplied. Dr. Poppendiek wrote, "I'm not sure whether someone at SpaCap doesn't understand the data or whether my findings are being misrepresented."
Why did that not surprise me?
The Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/spas-and-hot-tubs-supplies-and-parts/spacapcom-in-lynden-wa-13025291#ratingdetails) gives SpaCap.com the grade of F, their lowest rating. The BBB says there were 41 complaints filed against the company, which failed to resolve or even respond to a significant number of the complaints.
If you Google "spa cap," you'll find websites such as www.doityourself.com, which feature numerous other extremely negative reviews such as mine.
In sum, SpaCap's product is lousy and may actually be fraudulent, and their customer skills are even worse.review #209700
You may also like
- "I went to smart style in Belmont NC. I ask to take my black color out and just put a small grey highlight. The girl ask others how to..."
- "I went to Salon Uruku (Aveda Salon) Harrison OH for the first time on Monday 4/20 for partial highlight and lowlights w cut. I’ve been an Aveda consumer for 12..."
- "Went in looking for a Victoria Beckham-like bob- stacked in back and asymmetrical in front. Had 6 pictures of 360 degree angle of same haircut on someone i knew who..."
- "Purchased a Berkley line counter. First time out it worked great. I even tested it for accuracy and it was almost dead on. Second time out it started to have..."
- "I recently went to hawaii and booked through Orbitz, I got the car hotel and flight package for $1680 and was told Id get a room with a one bed..."
- "So it was my wife's bad in the first place that she accidentally returned our PS3 game Rockband instead of the movie we rented back to Netflix. They sent an..."
- "Periodically the door handle comes off our $1400 Gallery Series Frigidaire range. Usually happens when it is hot. Frigidaire designed it with steel washers on each side but..."
- "I ordered a "SAGE" green dress.. when it arrived it was BRIGHT LIME GREEN!!!. Upon contacting the company they said I couldn't return it as it wa "WHAT I..."
- "Terrible, untrained employees. I was into the 3rd rep of my 3rd set of tricep pushdowns, when the pin released on the cable harness. The harness fell to the floor,..."